As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to be a major concern, we are instituting new practices that will be put in place to manage our operation in the safest, most thoughtful way possible to protect our team members, guests, and vendors that are on property.
Downtowner has increased its precautionary measures on preventing the spread of COVID-19. We have executed a situational action plan and training program in place that will reduce the potential spread of the virus if we were to come into contact with a person who may have CODIV-19. These processes are based on both SNHD and CDC recommended guidelines. If you have any questions after reviewing this material or if you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to someone in management.
It is important that our team members feel comfortable coming to work and that our guests feel safe and welcome during their visit. If for some reason that isn’t the case, please make sure to reach out to one of our managers.
Registration/Front Desk and Lobby Procedures and Administration
- At the Registration/Front Desk, we will have the option for two check-in stations for our guests. These stations will be shielded by plexi-glass to protect both the guest and team members. We have removed all chairs and seating surfaces in the lobby area to prevent guests from loitering in the space.
- The Front Desk is available for Check-in and Check-out services only. Guests will be instructed to call the front desk for any other needs during their stay.
- We ask that if there is a group of more than two people checking into a room that only two guests from the party come to the front desk for check in or check out. Other guests from the party may wait in the courtyard area.
- Social distancing is also implemented when waiting in line. The area where guests queue will be clearly marked for appropriate physical distancing. Front Desk staff, management, and the on-duty porter will monitor and enforce.
- All staff members will wear masks and are strongly recommended to wear disposable gloves (the option is available to wear one provided or a personal mask).
- There will be a hand sanitizer at the Registration /Front Desk for employee use between check-ins.
- It will be required to have a bottle of disinfectant and cloth to wipe the Front Desk area in-between each check in.
- The following will be wiped down: signature keypad, keypad pen, desk.
- We have implemented no-touch check-in. Guests will be asked to show their picture ID and credit card to the front desk agent for proper verification. The guest signs the signature keypad for their registration and inserts their card on the POS system.
- Keys will be sanitized prior to stocking.
- The Lobby is for check in and check out only. We have removed all magazines from the front desk and lobby area where it is not possible to properly disinfect after contact by any individual. No bar service is available at this time. Grab and Go items will be available with a limited supply of items. Also, the common area restrooms will be closed as well.
- We will have a designated porter from 6am to 10pm. The responsibilities, along with normal cleaning duties will be to wipe down high touch items: door handles, railings, chair arms, elevator buttons, ice machine, etc.
- When a guest checks out of their room, they will leave their key in the room or check out with the Front Desk. These room keys will be properly sanitized prior to use by another guest.
- The public restrooms will be closed. These will be reserved for staff use only. The restrooms will be cleaned and sanitized twice a day.
- All deliveries will not be signed by the staff, but will be asking the delivery service to sign the delivery record on our behalf. If the item is for a guest, it will be sanitized at the front desk and held in our back of house for guest pick up.
- There will be health and hygiene reminders throughout the property.
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge, as long as the change or cancellation is made by August 31, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- Moving forward, through August 31, 2020 we will no longer have the option for guests to make non-refundable reservations.
- All guest rooms and common spaces have been deep cleaned and sanitized before we reopened the hotel.
- Any guest that is observed with symptoms similar with COVID-19 should be brought to a manager’s attention immediately. A team member should not go into a guest room who has COVID-19 symptoms. It will be the manager’s responsibility to advise the guest we will halt service during their stay. Any guest room that had a guest with COVID-19 symptoms will be held OOO for 48 hours (see housekeeping policies for cleaning COVID-19 symptom rooms) and deep cleaned based on SNHD guidelines. After the cleaning, the room will be held for another 24 hours and disinfected one more time before returning into service.
- If we are alerted to a case of COVID-19 at the property, we will work with the SNHD to follow the appropriate actions recommended by them.
- We have removed all magazines, literature, pen, and pad out of the rooms on easily contaminated items.
- Pool will operate under reduced hours from 10am to 8pm daily.
- We ask guests to lay their towels across a chair when they are done so we can sanitize the chair after each use.
- Some deck chairs have been removed and chairs have been reconfigured to maintain social distancing in groups of two.
- Pool door handles, and other surfaces will be wiped down hourly during pool hours from 10am to 6pm daily.
- The fitness center will operate under reduced hours from 6am to 8pm daily.
- Porters will wipe down all fitness equipment every 4 hours.
- Sanitation wipes will be available for guest use to wipe down any equipment before and after each use.
- Sanitizer and spray will also be available in the fitness area for guests to use to more thoroughly wipe down any equipment if desired.
- Housekeeping is supplied with gloves and masks.
- All Housekeeping carts will be equipped with a sanitizer bucket and towel to increase the use and efficiency of sanitizing all surfaces in the room
- Extra care is taken in each room and in common areas to sanitize any and all touch points, leaving nothing unaddressed.
- All bed linen and towels are laundered before each guest checks into their room and are washed at a high temperature in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- All touch surfaces in the rooms such as tv remotes, toilet seats and handles, door handles, furniture arms, temperature control switches, horizontal surfaces, luggage racks, water faucet handles, nightstands, hangers, iron, and light switches are being sanitized prior to your arrival.
- The frequency of air filter replacement and HVAC system cleaning has been increased.
- If you don’t want your room serviced during your stay, please make sure you put the Do Not Disturb sign outside your door.
- Maintenance engineers are supplied with gloves and masks.
- All guests are required to vacate the room when a maintenance engineer is in the room to fix a room issue.
- The guest room door will remain open while the maintenance engineer is in the guest room.
- If the maintenance request requires longer than usual time to fix because of the complexity of an issue, the guest may be asked to move to a different room.
For any questions regarding these policies, please ask to speak to a manager.
Please check the COVID section on our website to verify any policies, and changes to hours of operation.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Appropriate PPE will be worn by all Downtowner team members based upon their role and responsibilities and in adherence to government regulations and guidance. When required, training on how to properly use and dispose of PPE will be provided. Every employee will be provided a face covering and required to wear that face covering when interacting with others or when in the common area. Gloves will be provided for employees whose responsibilities require them.
Hand Sanitizer: Hand sanitizer dispensers will be placed in high contact locations and the main office for employees to use. Sanitizer isn’t intended to replace hand washing, it is to supplement hand washing when a team member isn’t able to access a station to wash their hands. When possible, hand washing is always the preferred method with hot water and soap to mechanically remove any germs and bacteria.
Signage: Health and hygiene reminders, including hand washing reminders, will be placed throughout the property. Signage, with appropriate training and hygiene reminders, will be posted in break rooms. Such signage may include reminders about the proper way to wear, handle, and dispose of face coverings and gloves; proper handwashing, coughing, and sneezing techniques; and a reminder to avoid touching your face.
Social Distancing: Guests will be advised to practice social distancing by standing at least six feet away from others while standing in lines, using elevators, or moving around the property. Common area tables and seating will be arranged to permit and encourage social distancing. Employees will be reminded not to touch their faces and to practice social distancing by standing at least six feet away from guests, tenants, vendors, and other employees whenever possible. Container Park will comply with local or state mandated occupancy limits.
Employee, Vendor, Tenant, and Guest Health Concerns: Our employees have been given instruction on how to respond to and report incidents where someone on the property could reasonably have been exposed to someone who is presumed to have tested positive for COVID-19. Employees are instructed to stay home if they do not feel well. If employees begin to exhibit any of the symptoms of COVID-19 while at the property, they are instructed to immediately notify their manager.
General Team Member Guidelines
- All team members arriving to work will have their temperature checked. Team members must show a temperature of below 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Separation of shifts is critical to minimizing exposure- no staggering if possible
- Separation of team members at different stations. When needed in teams of two maintaining social distancing guidelines is important
- Moving forward, to support social distancing, breaks will be taken in shifts.
- Employees will be provided masks and required to wear them.
Case Notification: If we are alerted to a presumptive case of COVID-19 at the property, we will work with local health officials and SNHD to follow the appropriate actions recommended.
Practices for Employee Protection
Office Access: Due to the limited size of the office, we will observe a “soft open.” Access to the office will be limited to three people at a time whenever possible. Public access to the office will be provided in cases where an in-person conversation or appointment is necessary. If a conversation is necessary, all team members involved will wear PPE and practice social distancing rules.
Contractor/Vendor Relationships: Downtowner will ask all vendors to stagger arrival times and get prior approval from management prior to coming on site. Vendors must not be on property during peak periods 2:30pm – 6pm. This will help with limiting congregation. Pursuant to their respective contracts, the vendors will be responsible for day-to-day management of the provided guidance.
Employee Responsibilities and Guidelines: In an effort to maintain a clean and safe environment for all, team members are advised to stay home if they aren’t feeling well. You will not get points if you call out for having COVID-19 symptoms. We will ask our employees and those of our vendors to only come to Downtowner if they are fever free for the last 72 hours (without taking any fever suppressant medication) and without any of the following symptoms:
- SHORTNESS OF BREATH CHILLS
- REPEATED SHAKING WITH CHILLS MUSCLE PAIN
- HEADACHE SORE THROAT
- LOSS OF TASTE OR SMELL
In addition, while in Downtowner common areas, our employees and our vendors’ employees will wear face coverings that cover the nose and mouth. Employees will be allowed to wear their own personal protective equipment if they prefer. Please refer to the COVID-19 People Ops policy for more information.
Hand Washing: The CDC informs that thorough hygiene practices and frequent handwashing with soap is vital to help combat the spread of the virus. Employees should wash their hands for at least 20 seconds (or use sanitizer when soap and water is not available) every 60 minutes or in the following situations:
- Upon arrival to work/re-entry to the office
- Before and after clocking in/out
- After completing personal activities such as using the restroom, sneezing, touching the face, blowing the nose, cleaning, eating, or drinking
- Before and after using other shared equipment (e.g., printer, copier, hand tools, refrigerator, etc)
Maintain Social Distancing: Employees should make every effort to maintain social distancing guidelines while at work. For example:
- Segregation of stations is key to our operation moving forward. We should only have one team member behind the bar making drinks. Other servers/ bartenders will be split into stations to keep distance between team members.
- Schedule conversations using email or virtual software rather than having in-person meetings
- Stay in your personal workspace when possible
Cleaning: Employees should do their part to keep shared surfaces clean. For example:
- Wipe down shared equipment before and after use
- Wipe down surfaces upon arrival and re-entry to your work station
- Wipe down surfaces after visitors have entered your work space when applicable
Cleaning Products and Protocols
Reactive Cleaning Protocol: In the event we are notified of a presumptive case of COVID-19, the area will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, including touchpoints up to eight feet above the floor.
Public Spaces and Communal Areas: The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing has been increased in all public spaces with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces including but not limited to, door handles, public restrooms, dining surfaces, counters, seating areas, condiments, elevators and elevator buttons, and stair handrails. These areas should be cleaned every hour or between each guest use.
Restrooms: Industry-leading cleaning and sanitizing protocols are used to clean public restrooms, with attention to high-touch surfaces including but not limited to, stall doors, toilet seats and handles, door and furniture handles, water faucet handles, and flooring. All restrooms should be sanitized hourly.
Back-of-House: The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing will also increased to every hour in the back-of-house areas including all handles, knobs, horizontal surfaces.
Work Stations/ Work Posts: Employees will be provided with cleaning supplies to clean their personal areas and to sanitize all touchpoints following a visitor contact. If work posts are used by any tenant or guest, the work post must be cleaned and disinfected. Shared office equipment should be wiped down by employees before and after use. Moving forward we should only have one bartender behind the bar at a time to segregate work stations.
Shared Equipment: Shared tools and equipment will be sanitized before, and after each shift or anytime the equipment is transferred to a new employee. This equipment includes phones, radios, computers, maintenance tools, keys, time clocks, vacuums, pressure washers, and all other direct contact items. There must be no shared food and beverages including coffee.
Porter – Common Area: Disinfect high-touch surfaces within the interior and exterior of Downtowner.
Cleaning & Sanitizing Protocol:
The following common areas to be sanitized between each guest/ guest use:
- Chair Arm Rests (when applicable)
- Credit Card Processors
- Front Desk Horizontal Surfaces
- Pool Chairs
- Golf Equipment
The following common areas to be sanitized at every hour:
- Entrance door handles
- Ice Machine
- Grab & Go Area
The following common areas to be sanitized at least once every four hours:
- Common area seating and furniture
- Trash receptacles
- Fitness Center Equipment
- Common Area handrails
The following areas will be cleaned and sanitized as follows:
- Management office to be sanitized each day
- Break areas to be cleaned and sanitized upon shift change
Personal Protective Equipment
- Face covering, gloves, protective eyewear (as needed)
- Microfiber towels
- Cleaning chemicals must meet EPA and CDC guidelines to include CDC and SNHD approved disinfectant spray and sanitizer buckets
Physical Distancing Protocol
- Standard protocols will be followed unless a specific incident requires more invasive contact
- All front of house team members and management to assist with enforcing physical distancing protocols in established guest queuing areas as required
- Security will approach, investigate, and enforce only obvious violations of government-recommended social distancing guidelines in the common areas, keeping in mind that:
- People who live or are quarantining together are exempt from guidelines
- Interactions should be customer service-based, emphasizing the need to balance customer actions with government regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19